Our Pop Up Amnesty Day was covered by the Queens Courier:

If you’re a business owner in Flushing with outstanding fines and violations from the city, today’s the day to clear the record.

The Greater Flushing Chamber of Commerce is hosting a “Pop-Up Amnesty Day” today at 39-01 Main St., Suite 511 between 4 and 7 p.m. The event is free and open to the public and assistance will be available in English, Mandarin and Korean.


The pop-up event is organized in collaboration with the NYC Department of Finance and is part of “Forgiving Fines,” a three-month program authorized by the New York City Council and Mayor Bill de Blasio to help business owners resolve violations they may have received from departments of Sanitation, Buildings, Transportation or other city agencies. During this amnesty period — which ends on Dec. 12 — the city will reduce certain penalties and waive interest added to penalty amounts in judgement. To receive amnesty, businesses must pay all violations in judgement on or before Dec. 12.

Common violations eligible for the program include illegal posting of a handbill or notice, snow, ice or dirt on sidewalk, failure to conduct required inspections and tests, and others. Violations must be in judgement by the city of New York and criminal violations and violations over $25,000 are excluded from the program.

2016-11-29 (1)“This Forgiving Fines program can truly benefit small businesses in Flushing and goes a long way in helping them recover from a financial setback due to fines and violations. Hosting an assistance day within Flushing is important because the Chamber can offer direct support to local businesses in the district to address these violations immediately, and also overcome language barriers, with bilingual staff on-site to help,” said John Choe, executive director of the Greater Flushing Chamber of Commerce.

Business owners can search for violations eligible for the forgiveness program here and find answers to frequently asked questions here. Further questions about the program can addressed by calling 311 and asking to be directed to the NYC Department of Finance Collections Division.

To read more, visit the Queens Courier.

Leave a Reply