2016 Seasonal Market Manager Positions
Market Managers are Greenmarket’s representatives to the public. On a daily basis, they work to build healthy communities and create an environment where local farmers can sell their products and keep their farms viable. Throughout the season, market managers gain exceptional access to New York’s food and farming community.
The market manager position is seasonal, and is comprised of 3 equally important components – operations, promotions and managing the Healthy Exchange (EBT- Electronic Benefits Transfer/SNAP- Food Stamps) program at market. The operations aspect of this position includes rules enforcement, paperwork, meeting deadlines, and overseeing the physical layout of outdoor farmers’ markets. The promotional aspect of this position includes both at-market promotions and neighborhood outreach. The Healthy Exchange aspect of the position includes selling tokens to EBT and Debit/Credit customers, collecting tokens from farmers, and at-
market and in-office paperwork and accounting. We are searching for outgoing, decisive, flexible, organized early-risers who can multi-task. A thorough understanding of seasonal, local food and growing practices is beneficial.
Market Manager’s Responsibilities
- Enforce Greenmarket rules and regulations.
● Determine farmer truck and tent locations according to market layout.
● Complete daily reports and other market paperwork by assigned deadlines.
● Plan and conduct cooking demonstrations and other at-market promotional events.
● Perform outreach in the local community to promote markets, and the use of EBT/Food Stamps at the market.
● Perform EBT and debit/credit transactions at market and maintain accurate records of those transactions using Greenmarket reporting platforms.
● Communicate and maintain relationships with customers, community leaders, park employees, local merchants, construction personnel, outside vendors, politicians, and others , while representing Greenmarket.
● Attend weekly meetings in the office and regularly communicate with supervisors regarding markets.
● Set up and maintain an electronic market plan for the season, prepare maps/layouts of markets, and maintain list of market contacts.
● Resolve conflict in the market as it arises, between farmers, customers, and the public.
● Work outdoors, standing and walking for extended periods of time (up to 12 hours in a day), sometimes in extreme temperatures.
● Transport heavy/bulky items and equipment
● Work in a potentially noisy environment.
• Work weekends and holidays; especially Saturdays.
• Be willing to obtain a valid Department of Health’s Food Protection Certificate within the first month of being hired.
• Many positions require a valid driver’s license and willingness to drive a cargo van.
• Some positions require proficiency in Spanish, Chinese, or other languages.
Agriculture is seasonal in New York, and so is the job of a Greenmarket market manager. Full and part time positions are available and we will be hiring on a rolling basis beginning immediately. Market managers will attend an initial training and positions generally run from mid-May through November or December. Full-time positions will be 35-40 hours/week. High season requires dedication and means that requests for time off (other than sick) cannot be easily accommodated. Some positions will transition from part time to full time as the season progresses. Hours for part-time positions may vary.
The Market Manager position currently pays $14/hour and includes only statutory benefits. On May 1, 2016 this position’s salary will be raised to $16/hr. For additional information, please see our website at http://www.GrowNYC.org. Submit cover letter, resume
and three references to Chelsea Whittaker, email@example.com. Combine all submissions into one PDF and write “Market Manager” in the subject line. Please also include where you heard about the position in your cover letter and indicate if you are looking for a part-time and/or full-time position. Interviews will be on a rolling basis and positions will be filled as they become available. GrowNYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Greenmarket is a program of GrowNYC, a NYC-based non-profit organization. Greenmarket’s mission is to promote regional agriculture and ensure a continuing supply of fresh local produce for New Yorkers. Greenmarket supports farmers and preserves farmland for the future by providing regional, small family farmers with opportunities to sell their fruits, vegetables and other farm products to New Yorkers.